We are prisoners, former prisoners, and community members working together toward the transformation and success of people as they rejoin the community after prison. We have been working in Oregon prisons, primarily at Columbia River Correctional Institution (CRCI) in Portland, Oregon, since 2001.
Prison InReach Projects:
Please note: these classes have been on hiatus during the pandemic as Columbia River Correctional Institution (CRCI) has been closed to volunteer organizations and visitors. It is reopening to us soon, so we expect to re-launch these classes – likely April or May 2022.
- Relational Culture Strategies (Leadership) – meets weekly for two hours at CRCI. Students and volunteers interact on a variety of topics geared toward personal and community transformation. These topics include community organizing style leadership training, transformation stories of historic figures, and transformational psychology based on the work of G.I. Gurdjieff and Peter Ouspensky.
- Writing Class – meets weekly for two hours at CRCI. Students write stories, reflections, poetry to understand themselves and their world more clearly and to hone writing skills.
- COVID-19 Response – PHOENIX works with people in need of support while in isolation due to COVID-19 illness or positive test. We can help with financial assistance for food, medication, housing, and utilities. Contact us for details.
- Community Organizing – with Metropolitan Alliance for Common Good (MACG)
- Leadership Institute (available 2-3 times per year)
- MACG Assemblies (2-4 times per year) – community organizing public actions.
- Research/Action Teams – work on specific issues that are important to MACG member institutions – including criminal justice reform and strengthening community support for those coming home from prison.
- Mentor Project – One-on-one mentoring is available to support one’s personal transformation and transition to life in the community. Our Certified Peer Recovery Mentor assists with navigating resources and systems in the community. Contact us for more info or to sign up.
- Guided Meditation Group – Sundays at 9:00 a.m. on Zoom. Contact us for Zoom link.
Please use the contact tab above to sign up or for more information on PHOENIX projects