We are prisoners, former prisoners, and community members working together toward the transformation and success of people as they rejoin the community after prison. We have been working in Oregon prisons, primarily at Columbia River Correctional Institution (CRCI) in Portland, Oregon, since 2001.
Prison InReach Projects:
(Please note: these classes are on hiatus during the pandemic as CRCI is closed to visitors until further notice.)
- Relational Culture Strategies (Leadership) – meets weekly for two hours at CRCI. Students and volunteers interact on a variety of topics geared toward personal and community transformation. These topics include community organizing style leadership training, transformation stories of historic figures, and transformational psychology based on the work of G.I. Gurdjieff and Peter Ouspensky.
- Writing Class – meets weekly for two hours at CRCI. Students write stories, reflections, poetry to understand themselves and their world more clearly and to hone writing skills.
- Mentor Project – One-on-one mentoring is available to support one’s personal transformation and transition to life in the community. Our Certified Peer Recovery Mentor assists with navigating resources and systems in the community.
- Emergent Strategies (Core Team) – This team works on issues of importance to those who have been impacted by the criminal justice system. We meet once a week. Current meetings are on Zoom.
- Housing – PHOENIX no longer operates transitional housing in the Portland metro area. We closed our house on June 30, 2019. We are able to connect you with other options.
(Please use the contact tab above to sign up or for more information on In-the-Community projects)